June 21, 2008

#173 Roller Derby

Now with my newly shaved head I thought it might be time for a little counterculture sports, so I went to a roller derby. Milwaukee's very own all-girl Brew City Bruisers took on the Tampa Bay Tantrums. Knowing very little about the sport, I considered it to be about as valid as professional wrestling. But after having seen a match I have to say that it was hardly what I expected. The match was highly competitive and not scripted at all, and with names like Becky the Butcher, Pound Anya, and Ann T. Social, how could it not be entertaining?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my hubby is going to let me shave his head...i can't wait!
i've never been to a roller derby. sounds entertaining.
we've rented "the bucket list" but haven't watched it yet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the positive feedback! We work hard to make sure our fans have a blast. And yes, every single move is real and unscripted. Roller derby has changed from the pro wrestling type format it had in the '70s to a real sport. We still hit hard, though!

Make sure you check out the next bout on Jan. 17th! This one will be a league-wide bout with our four Milwaukee teams facing off against one another. Get there early, though, because seats fill up fast! We anticipate around 2,000 people. Get all the information at www.brewcitybruisers.com.