May 09, 2008

#130 Esperanto

I've learned a few phrases in Klingon, a completely fictional language. I've learned some Swahili, a real language. Now for the last of my new languages suggested by a post from Bill, I learned how to speak some Esperanto. This is a language that falls somewhere in between. It's not fictional, it's a real language that was developed in the 1870's. It's intention was to be a universal second language. It is a neutral language that has a very simple structure and pronunciation. Many of the roots of words are similar to the Romance, Germanic, and Slavic languages. It has a 28 letter alphabet. All nouns end in "o". Add a "j" to make a noun plural. Adjectives end in "a". Here's a simple intro to esperanto. And to add to my list of languages I can say "Plian bieron, mi petas." and "Kie estas la necesajo?" – Another beer please. Where is the bathroom?

No comments: