April 13, 2008

#104 Horse Around

In preparation for hopefully witnessing a horse being born, I got a behind the scenes tour of an equine clinic and hospital. I've never even pet a horse before today, so this was really fascinating to see. Currently there were about 4 or 5 foals that had already been born and were in the stalls with their mothers. One particular foal had been born with a lack of oxygen so it was in need of some extra care because it still had difficulty in standing. I was also able to see the room where they perform the surgeries. In order to perform surgery, they sedate the horse in a separate room that has a floor that can then be wheeled out on tracks once the horse has laid down. I also got to pet a horse that was recovering from a broken pelvis and a foal that was about 1 month old. The horse that I might be able to see give birth is due on April 20th, so if the timing is right I could get the call to rush over there in the middle of the night!




No comments: